Arrive in Marrakech, where we will pick you up from the airport and take you to a beautiful riad in the city center. Spend the afternoon experiencing the sensory overload of this ancient city: explore the maze-like medina, test your bargaining skills in the souks and check out the performers & snake charmers of the D’jemma el Fna. Wrap it up with a big welcome dinner and a good night of sleep – you’ve got a big week ahead.
No running / Meals: D
Depart from Marrakech by 4×4 vehicles towards the High Atlas mountains. After a beautiful journey over the pass and a fresh picnic prepared by our team, we'll drive a bit more before beginning our afternoon run. Beginning with a long descent into the Ounila Valley, this run rolls along miles of lush green gardens and ultimately finishes at the watchtower of Ait Ben Haddou, a UNESCO-preserved kasbah that has served as the set for Gladiator and Game of Thrones, among many other films. Spend the evening soaking your legs in the pool and enjoying a big dinner at our guesthouse.
Running: 15 mi / 24 km, pavement, ~500ft/150m gain
Wake up to breakfast and your first hands-on village task! Once completed, we'll pack up and head to the nearby oases of Skoura, where the run begins. Weave through immense palm groves, a couple of small villages and lush gardens before finishing with a poolside picnic at the beautifully restored kasbah that we'll call home for the night. Spend the rest of the day relaxing, recovering and, of course, taking on your next cultural challenge.
Running: 18 mi / 30km, dirt road, ~600 ft/180m gain
It's time to get off the map! Beginning at a dramatic mountain pass, this run takes us along a gorgeous singletrack trail towards the Zat Valley. Pass through small villages that are only accessible on foot, and cover everything from rocky ridgeline and pristine meadows to canyon descents and river crossings. After a hard final climb, meet our crew in a tiny village that will be home for the night. Gear will be brought by mule, dinner will be served by our chef and everyone will be able to gather and relax inside the gite (a basic but cozy travelers shelter) before heading right outside to sleep under the stars in tents.
Running: 18 mi / 30km, single track trail & 4×4 track, ~ 4000ft/1220m gain
Wake up to a stunning view outside your tent, then set out for a magical run into the Ourika Valley. Get ready for idyllic meadows filled with sheep, waterfalls, dramatic mountain views and no other people save for a few shepherds. After a long technical descent you'll reach the finish and find a village, a river, a bridge and our transport. We then transfer to Imlil, a beautiful mountain town full of almond trees and rushing rivers that serves as a base for many High Atlas trekkers. Enjoy a relaxed afternoon and evening spent at a gorgeous riad with huge views of the surrounding peaks.
Running: 13 mi / 21km, single track mule trail, ~1800ft/550m gain
Wake up in Imlil for our final run, packed with sweeping views of rivers, orchards, towering peaks and terraced farmland. Once complete, the rest of the day is free for relaxing, icing the legs in the river or browsing the village shops. The day ends with our final dinner and awards for those who have completed everything that we’ve put in front of them.
Running: 15 mi / 24km, mix of pavement, dirt road & single track trail, ~2400ft/730m gain
After breakfast, pack up and head to Marrakech to catch flights home, or begin your ascent of Jebel Toubkal, the highest peak in North Africa at 4167m (highly recommended! See below).
TOUBKAL SUMMIT ADD-ON (OPTIONAL)
Hike from Imlil to the mountain refuge where you will sleep for the night. Your gear will be transported by mule and lunch & dinner will be prepared by our crew.
Hiking: 12km, steep singletrack trail, ~5000ft/1520m gain
Wake up early for a light breakfast, then begin the summit hike through rock and snow fields with an experienced local mountain guide. After a sunrise summit, begin your descent back to Imlil. Stop at the refuge for a snack and rest, then continue hiking or running all the way back the riad in Imlil for a meal and a well-deserved nap. 18km roundtrip, steep technical trail, snow possible, ~3500ft/1060m gain. Summit is at 13700ft/4167m; no technical climbing required but some experience with technical footing at altitude is needed. We will provide crampons if conditions require it.
DAY 9: Breakfast then transfer to Marrakech for flights home.
PRICING & DETAILS
Saturday, March 23 - Friday, March 29, 2019
Participants should arrive in Marrakech no later than 3pm on March 23 and depart Marrakech no earlier than 12pm on March 29.
An ultra-running background is not required, but strong distance running abilities, some experience on trail and a sense of adventure is a must! Participants should arrive prepared to cover the full distance each day.
A $500 deposit secures your spot, and the total cost depends upon signup date:
Standard Pricing (through December 23): $2450
Late Pricing (after December 23): $2600
Balances due by December 23, 2018. Registrations after that date must be paid in full. Please refer to the FAQs on our website for our cancellation & refund policy.
- Pre-trip guidance + communication
- Transfers to/from Marrakech airport on arrival and departure day
- Transportation: 4×4 vehicles, fuel and professional drivers
- Five nights in comfortable, unique three and four-star hotels or riads (double occupancy)
- One night tent camping in the High Atlas (basic indoor gathering space and toilet are provided along with all gear and bedding)
- Gear transfer for High Atlas runs
- Organized, guided runs
- Organized hands-on cultural tasks and challenges
- Experienced, expert Moroccan logistics team
- Experienced Rogue Expeditions & Fuego y Agua trip leaders
- All meals + snacks from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 7
- Drinking water
- Endurance Adventure Morocco shirt
COST DOES NOT INCLUDE
- Alcohol or beverages other than water (coffee & mint tea are complimentary with breakfasts)
- Travel Insurance
- Personal purchases/souvenirs or extra activities
Early Arrival package: $175 single / $250 double
Arrive a day early for extra time to sleep off the jet lag and explore Marrakech! Includes airport pickup, accommodation, and breakfast the following morning.
Private room upgrade: $400
Gives you your own room for all six nights. One night is tent camping, in which case you will have your own tent. Please note that availability is limited.
Climb Jebel Toubkal: $450
Extend your trip with a climb up Jebel Toubkal, the highest peak in North Africa (4167m), beginning on the final day of the standard trip. Price includes all meals, snacks & water, one night accommodation in mountain refuge, one night accommodation in 4-star guesthouse, experienced local mountain guide, a mule + porters to transport your gear & airport transfer. Participants who choose this option will depart Marrakech on Sunday, March 31. Please ensure that your departing flight is no earlier than 12pm.
There will be a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 14 runners.
Though we don't anticipate any problems hitting the minimum, please do not book flights until we confirm that it has been met.
- US citizens will need a passport with at least 6 months of validity upon arrival in Morocco. No visas or vaccinations are required for US or EU citizens in Morocco, though you may want to consider some standard vaccinations if you are a first-time traveler. Participants from other countries should check with their consulate for entry requirements.
- Please ensure that you arrive in Marrakech no later than 3pm on March 23 and depart Marrakech no earlier than 12pm on March 29 (or 31st, for those climbing Toubkal). If you arrive/depart outside of those parameters then you will be responsible for your own airport transfers (we can help you make arrangements but there will be added cost).
- Please note that travel insurance is strongly recommended. Although we hope you never need it, we've seen enough to know that it can be a lifesaver in the event of a medical emergency, flight delays that cause you to miss the start of the trip, lost baggage or cancellation on your part (break your leg two weeks before departure? Insurance could can the entire cost of your trip! Flight delays cause you to miss the first day? Insurance can cover the cost of transport to meet up with the group!).
You can find those here.
Allison Macsas at email@example.com